.

"Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!"



That's what the LDS "Mormon" church does to keep its members compliant and in the dark. Examples: The Book of Abraham, the Salamander Letters, Joseph Smith's marriages to already-married women...the list goes on.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Embarrassed and Ashamed

Yesterday I attended an LDS funeral (for a 2-year-old, which should just not happen).  The stories from the grandparents were sweet.  The words from the parents were painful.  And sadly, the stake president (and the bishops who spoke) were completely embarrassing.  I wanted to crawl under my chair and hide there.

There were many non-LDS (including myself) at the service.  When the stake president proceeded to turn his talk into a "missionary opportunity" and proceed to tell everyone that he was raised Baptist and that they're just plain wrong and that all other religions don't have the truth, I felt horrible for the entirety of the people.  What a pompous ass.  The bishops weren't any better. I'm embarrassed and ashamed to have so willingly been associated with that group for so long.   

I'm sure those words brought a lot of comfort to my friends who lost their sweet boy much too early in life, so I will let my anger go, but this experience has driven a wedge even further between me and the so-called church.

There's no way I'll be able to tolerate any further of the hubster's family's monthly Mo meetings.  (Hubster has never wanted to go, so it's easy for him to just skip out, laughing all the way).  That's going to cause a load of trouble with the in-laws, but I feel I'm very prepared for that fight.  I've been doing a lot of reading and listening lately.  I'm in the midst of Rough Stone Rolling and can only say WOW.  If that book doesn't reveal Joseph Smith as a horny conman, I don't know what does.  And it was written by a TBM!  Woot!

2 comments:

  1. I've always hated LDS funerals. I hate the way that they turn it into a sacrament meeting. But, then I hate ALL funerals so a religious component just makes it all worse.

    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of a child for your friends. I'm sure there is no greater pain. The only thing I miss about religion in my life is the ability to convince myself that I would see deceased loved ones again and that they are watching over me. I'm glad your friends have that at this time in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Nation Under Gods by Richard Abanes - written by an Evangelical Christian, but not preachy at all, and FULL of info.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete